Absences excused for justifiable personal reasons include the following and the student must obtain prior approval from the attendance office or school administrator:
- An appearance in court
- An employment conference
- A pupil/family hardship situation, as authorized by the principal
- An observance of a holiday or ceremony of the pupil’s religion
- Attendance at a religious retreat not to exceed four (4) hours per semester
- Attending a funeral service of a person who is not an immediate family member
- College visits – limited to three (3) days per school year for 11th and 12th grades.
Prior to an absence described in this regulation, a signed parental request must be received and approved by the principal or administrative designee. Only in cases of extreme emergency will the principal approve an absence after the absence occurs. The principal or administrative designee may request the student complete Saturday school to clear the absence.